Businesses, services and tools that helped build playhacker
This page lists some of the people and companies that have helped build the playhacker system. This is a living list. If there’s a site element you are interested in that we don’t cover here, send us a PM through the member messaging system and we’ll add it. Note: this site is funded by affiliate commission, so some of the links on this page may fund further development (at no cost to you).
We develop the animated illustrations ourselves. Our current process looks like this:
- We build something,
- we photo the finished project,
- we pick the best angle for an illustration,
- we send the photo, and perhaps some concept mockups, to our artist,
- they make us a cartoon-style rendering in Photoshop,
- we pull renderings into Illustrator and clean them and bust them into labeled layers,
- we export as SVG,
- we open that file in Visual Studio Code and massage it for easy CSS targeting,
- we upload it to our site inline (using an HTML widget in Elementor, for example)
- this allows us to target each element inside the drawing, with CSS rules
- we write a bunch of animation routines and rules for it!
Many of the photos we use to quickly illustrate concepts, or for project mockups, are from Unsplash.
Both WP Engine and Kinsta come with great CDNs, but Cloudflare offers so much more than just distributed content mirroring: firewall, image optimization, mobile optimization, wordpress optimization, and more.
This is a living document. If you don't find the info you need about one of the features or services we use, drop us an IM (through the member messaging system) and let us know. We'll add it!